Monday, November 4, 2013

My girl

As Annyson and I were waiting on her noodles to boil, she said "Mom - let's go out on the porch and talk."  I had to sieze the moment!  She held my hand as we walked outside and she directed me to sit on the chair a certain way.  As I giggled and loved her bossiness at that moment, I sat.   I turned to Annyson as she lifted one leg and hugged it tight and tilted her head one way and starting talking all about how leaves fall and do flips in the air and land in colorful buckets.  I just listened and admired her imagination as she was using grown up hand gestures to fully express her thoughts.

She went on and on and then we got stuck on talking about winter, Santa and Jesus.  She said she couldn't wait until Jesus' birthday b/c then Santa would be able to come.  She said she told all of her friends that "Mom said Santa won't come until you celebrate Jesus' birthday first".  I asked her what she was most excited about and she said "I want to make Jesus super sparkly pink cupcake and a Sofia present...actually, no mom - a superman present b/c he's a boy."  I said that was pretty thoughtful and we'll see what we can do about that.  Then she popped in my lap and said "Let's go check on our noodles mom".

I loved that moment so much I thought I'd share it with you.  In my mind, I forecasted many front porch talks as she gets older about her friends, her feelings, her frustrations, boys, school, and anything else her little heart desires.  I prayed at that moment that she would always want to talk to me (although I know there will be times when she doesn't) and I prayed I'd never tell her I didn't have time to talk.

I had a little bit of de-ja-vu thinking of the many talks I had with my mom on her front porch which brought my mind to the book "Someday" (If any of you have a little girl, you need to invest in this book) which is about a momma watching her little girl grow up and and become a mom herself.  It brought me to the last page of the book which said "Some day, your own hair will grow silver in the sun and when that day comes, love, you will remember me."








I heart her so.


2 comments:

  1. So sweet! Can't wait for my own moments like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you that you have the wisdom to seize the moment! And loved, loved the update! I was having "update withdrawals".

    ReplyDelete