Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A new love

I found this gem on Craigslist (photo borrowed from Craigslist).  After negotiating the $125 asking price to $50, Jordan (a good friend) and I hooked up the trailer to her SUV and headed to Albany.   Here is what happened on the trip there....

First we had to stop by Sue Ellen's to drop of the piece of furniture that was in this china cabinet's home.  Of course when I pull up in the driveway I realized I forgot the key.  Typical me.  Annyson tells me..."Mooom - you always forget something every day!"  Yeah yeah yeah...

So luckily, her neighbor that has a key was home - we borrowed it, loaded the piece in her kitchen, and  off we went.    Sidebar:  backing up a trailer is for the birds...not for me!

Did I mention Vann was with us?  Annyson is a handful these days so Vann accompanied the ladies and chilled in the backseat.  Sure enough, rain met us in Albany.

So we pull up and we are debating whether or not we should get this piece as the neighborhood was not the best, but when we met the folks selling it - we felt ok.  And we had Vann protecting us so we were good to go.  (For those who are worried - if we felt uncomfortable, we would have taken the loss and left)  The 2 guys there were NOT excited about having two girls show up b/c that meant they had to load this up in the car and trailer in the pouring rain.   And their wives thought it was quite entertaining. 

After forgetting to tie down the strap, putting ruts in this person's yard (they rented so they didn't care), trying to back this trailer out of this small yard, almost hitting a trashcan - we were on our way back home!


I've been doing a lot of research on how to paint and distress furniture and chalk paint kept coming up.  I was not about to pay $40 for a small - and I mean small - can of paint so I found a recipe to make my own.  A little bit of Plaster by Paris, water and my $7 opps paint I was ready to roll.

The best part - no prep work needed - no sanding!



Starting the painting.  I used the vaseline on the areas I knew I wanted to show the wood grain so the sanding was easier. 
Painted and sanded.  I hadn't waxed it yet.
Waxed and chicken wire placed where the glass was

My little helper waxing the base!  She actually did good!
The base finished and waxed.  I heart this!
And Voila!  You can't tell from the photo, but on the top where the mirrors were I put white beadboard there.  Jay helped with the skill saw (I tried but figured being at home alone with Vann... I need my hands!  I couldn't risk cutting them off!  LOL!) and Sam glued and calked them.

I think I may have found a new hobby.  I'm now looking at everything in my house wondering what I can paint next!  Little round table from Sue Ellen's attic...you're next!

*Sorry dad - you will probably be doing this to the furniture in Brooke's old room*




And look what else I caught on camera....Vann's first smile that did not involve gas!  Cutest little boy I know!






4 comments:

  1. sweet kristy, did you just have a baby or not?! I am so impressed by all your energy!
    last night at Bible study one of my ladies came in saying that she had painted a chest with chalk paint and was now addicted. I told her about your project and that you had found a recipe for the chalk paint. would be willing to pass on your site for the recipe? I told her if I found this out, she could paint for me! love you! aunt clair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Aunt Clair! The website is http://www.iheartnaptime.net/chalk-paint/

      I didn't follow it exactly. I just got the plaster of paris and water tot he consistency of pancake batter and then mixed in the paint. You really can't go wrong:) Love that you enjoyed the post!

      Delete