When Sam and I were engaged, my dear friend and sister in Christ, Alli, sent me this amazing letter along with the book Sacred Marriage, that I recommend to every married couple who longs for the Lord to be the center of their marriage. Well, I read the letter about a year ago, put it on my fridge and didn't really read it again, until yesterday. I read this letter, "A Walled Garden" and it just touched my heart and I wanted to share it with you.
A Walled Garden
"My sweetheart, my bride, is a secret garden, a walled garden, a private spring..." Song of Songs
"Your marriage", he said, "should have within it a secret and protected place, open to you alone. Imagine it to be a walled garden, entered by a door to which you only hold the key. Within this garden, you will cease to be a mother, father, employee, homemaker, or any other of the roles which you fulfill in daily life. Here you are yourselves - two people who love eachother. Here you can concentrate on one another's needs."
And so we made our walled garden. Time that was kept for us alone. At first, we went there often, enjoying each others company, sharing secrets, growing closer. But now our days are packed with plans and people. Conversation has become a message scribbled on a pad. The door into our garden is almost hidden by rank weeds of busyness. We claim we have no time because we have forgotten. Forgotten that love grows if it is tended and if neglected, dies. But we can always make the time for what is most inportant in our lives.
So take my hand and let us go back to our garden. The time we spend together is not wasted but invested. Invested in our future and the nurture of our love.
~Anonymous~
No comments:
Post a Comment