Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Fast Asleep

Good day everyone!  From day one, Annyson has been a good sleeper (she must get that from Momma who gets its from Nonnie).  She can sleep through anything (except gas) and usually can sleep anywhere.  

Last night she randomly woke up at 12:30 - I woke up thinking it was 2:30 (missed the "1" in front of the "2" and was about to feed her.  Then I saw another clock that confirmed the 12:30 time.  Confused, I walked into her room and Annyson was wide awake - not hungry, but with a wet/poopy diaper.  So naturally, I changed her.  When Annyson wakes up randomly like that, it takes her a bit to fall asleep, which means it takes a bit for Momma to get back to bed too.  

I put her back down, and she moaned and groaned and grunted as if she had to poo again or had to burp.  I sat her up in her bed...nada.  But she was happier and got heavy eyed.  Laid her back down - and unhappy Annyson again.  Sat her up - happy and sleepy.  So I flipped her on her belly and voila - asleep before I could count to 3.  

From day one - they tell you, don't let your baby sleep on her tummy.  Apparently there are too many risks.  Well, in talking to cousin Heather, she told me about a friend of hers that has a baby that sleeps much better on her tummy...and her friend prays over the baby, and let's him/her sleep.  So, that's exactly what I did at 1:15am.  I rationalized it in my head, thinking, she only has 1.5 more hours until she will wake up hungry.

Well, I was nervous so I checked on her at least 3 times before she woke up, but let me tell you - that baby was in a deep deep sleep.  I mean, no lamb noises, no passie, eyes shut, mouth open, and drool on her sheets.  

And she didn't wake me up at her usual 3am.  She didn't wake up until 5am to eat, so she ate, went back to sleep until 7:30 for her morning feeding.

So today, I tested it out.  During nap time, I would try to put her on her back, and again - as usual moans, groans, and grunts.  Passie out - she cries.  This is a repeated thing for at least 30 minutes.  So, I turned her on her back, removed all blankets from around her head, and guess what - before the count of 3 - the girl was drooling.  I sat there and watched her for at least 10 minutes.   I prayed over her and went on with my morning (without going back to sleep as usual b/c I got more sleep!)

So - sleeping on the tummy....that's how our mom's put us to sleep right?  I will continue checking on her, and praying over her....but its ok right?  Mom's out there....its ok right???

3 comments:

  1. Luke slept on his back, and I had to swaddle him until he was seven months old! Forget that! Eli and Judah both slept on their bellies and were/are great nappers and great sleepers.

    Good for you for praying over her and walking away. You'll get the opportunity to do that a million more times during her life, and it is a priceless lesson to learn now. It saves us moms a lot of wasted time fretting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my son wouldn't sleep unless he was on his tummy, even while we were in the hospital! i let him sleep like that, but kept trying to get him to sleep on his back... even now at 10/11 months old, he still ends up on his tummy. I slept like that as a baby, and I'm ok right?! Just make sure there are no blankets. My doctor pretty much said as soon as they can move their head in their sleep, or are strong enough to lift their heads, they are ok to sleep on their tummies. If it means sleep, do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ashley! My doc pretty much said the same thing!

    ReplyDelete